Motorcycle Insurance Rider & Usage FAQs
Get all the information you need about our motorcycle insurance usage details and more. Can't find what you need? Send us an email.
Who can ride my Motorcycle?
This depends on whether you have declared any named rider or selected the Any Rider optional benefit. Your named rider will enjoy the same coverage as you.
If you have selected the Any Rider optional benefit, any authorised unnamed rider who meets the following criteria will be covered as well.
- Has a valid Motorcycle license in Singapore for at least 2 years.
- Accident-free (no at-fault claims) for 3 consecutive years prior to the inception of the policy.
- Not under suspension or disqualification from driving in the last 5 years.
- Not using the insured motorcycle for rental or delivery purpose even if Deliveries usage is declared and selected.
- Rides the motorcycle with the permission of the policyholder.
- The age of the authorised unnamed rider needs to be at a minimum age of 25 or 30, and a maximum age of 65, depending on which Any Rider optional benefit is selected.
Are there any riders you don’t cover?
We have to exclude some riders to keep your premium down We cannot cover you if:
- You have been declined when trying to purchase/renew your policy in the last 3 years.
- Or you have had your policy terminated in the last 3 years.
- You've had your licence suspended or cancelled in the last 5 years.
- Your motorcycle is registered under your company
- You use your motorcycle for commercial purposes, hire or reward.
- You use your motorcycle to perform delivery services, whether on a full time or part time basis. However if you use your bike for food and/or parcel deliveries only (e.g. GrabFood, Deliveroo, Food Panda etc.), this can be covered if you declare such usage to us truthfully.
Can DirectAsia cancel my policy if I do not truthfully or fully declare all information while buying my policy?
Yes. If you do not tell us everything you know or would be expected to know, you may receive no benefit from your policy or we may cancel your policy and treat it as never having existed. The admin fee for cancellation is $53.50 (inclusive of GST).
Can I make changes to my cover?
You can contact us to request a change to be made to your cover. Upon our approval, acceptance and receipt of any additional premium payable by you, we will confirm in writing to you. You may call our customer service centre hotline at 6665 5555 from Monday - Friday: 9am - 7pm or send us an email.
Do I qualify for DirectAsia's Motorcycle Insurance?
If you meet the below requirements, then yes you do.
- The policyholder must be the registered owner of the vehicle – we cannot insure you if you are not the owner of the motorcycle.
- The main rider is the person that uses the motorcycle most frequently – they must be aged between 21 and 65 years old, with at least 2 years’ valid motorcycle licence.
You can add one named rider to your policy aged between 21 and 65 years old, with at least 2 years’ valid motorcycle licence.
Do you cover all professions?
We do not insure certain professions. These are:
- Personnel of foreign armed forces
- Foreign diplomats and foreign diplomatic staff
How do I claim against a foreign motorist?
Making a claim against motorists from another country can turn out to be costly and time-consuming. You have to get the help of your repairer to assist in your claim. If you are not at fault and you are able to provide the registration number of the third party vehicle, your NCD will not be affected.
How do you define the different usages of the motorcycle?
- Private use: You are only using your motorcycle in the course of your private life and for leisure.
- Private use and commuting to work: You are also using your motorcycle to go to and from your office.
- Private and business use: You are also using your motorcycle for and during the course of your work.
- Private, Commuting and Deliveries: You are also using your motorcycle to go to and from your office + deliveries of food and/or parcel.
- Private, Business use and Deliveries: You are also using your motorcycle for and during the course of your work + deliveries of food and/or parcel.
In what countries am I insured to ride?
Your policy covers you when you ride your motorcycle in Singapore, West Malaysia and Southern Thailand (Within 80km of the border between Thailand and Malaysia.)
What do we mean by Policy Holder, Main Rider, Named Riders and Authorised Riders?
The policyholder is the registered owner of the vehicle – we cannot insure you if you are not the owner of the vehicle.
The main rider is the person that uses the motorcycle most frequently – he must be aged 21 - 65 with 2 years’ riding experience.
Named riders are occasional riders you name under the policy. They have to be aged 21 - 65 with 2 years’ riding experience.
Authorised riders are people that you give permission to use your motorcycle. Sorry, this policy covers only 1 main rider and up to 1 named rider. It does not cover any unnamed riders. (Unless the Any Rider Optional Benefit is selected). The adding of additional rider or the selection of Any Rider Optional Benefit is subject to additional premium charges.
What happens if I'm in an accident outside of Singapore?
Make a police report in the place the accident or loss occurred and do so within 24 hours. If you're in West Malaysia or Southern Thailand and you need towing to the nearest repair workshop we can help you arrange that. You will need to pay the service provider and you can claim it back on your policy, up to the specified amount, when you return to Singapore. Call us at +65 6991 3555 (Overseas/Emergency).