It is not uncommon to be anxious and flustered when you are involved in a car accident; especially if it is your first time. At times like this, keeping a rational mind and being level-headed can be valuable in minimising the hassle and cost of being in an accident. To avoid getting into a situation where you might experience feelings of panic, keep this article as an emergency document in your car to make sure you know exactly what to do.
Top Priorities at the scene of the accident
- Vehicle – stop your car as soon as possible. Turn off your engine and switch on the hazard lights.
- Safety – check for any personal injuries, injuries to your passengers and third-parties. Call for an ambulance if emergency medical services are required.
- Traffic – is the accident causing a buildup of traffic? Or did the accident cause some kind of damage to public property, such as street signs or road dividers? If that’s the case, call the traffic police at 6547 0000. You’d also need to report to the Police is the accident involves fatalities, pedestrians/cyclists, foreign vehicles, hit-and-run cases or where someone has to be taken to the hospital.
- Information gathering – start gathering information of the accident scene. This is extremely important when it comes to insurance claims and when disputes arise. Evidence you’d need to collect include pictures of:
- the accident scene and the surrounding areas. The pictures should capture the entire scene
- damages to your own vehicle and the license plate number
- damages to the other vehicle(s) which captures the licence plates as well.
Remember to take note of the date, time, location, as well as the weather and road conditions at that point.
Contact your Insurer
If you are insured with DirectAsia, call us at 6532 1818 if you’re in Singapore or at +65 6603 3699 (Overseas/Emergency) if you’re in Malaysia or Thailand. Our professional claims advisor will guide you through what you need to do. You are required by the General Insurance Association of Singapore to report an accident to your insurer within 24 hours (or the next working day) even if you are not claiming on your own insurance or even when there is no damage. If not, your No Claim Discount (NCD) will be affected. In any case, we will help you make a report of the accident when you call us.
It’s common for parties involved in a car accident to be overwhelmed by emotions and get into a blaming game. Try to stay calm and not discuss liability. Allow the other party to inspect your vehicle’s damage if requested. This is to ensure that there is transparency in the submission of third-party damage claims.
If you decide to settle the matter privately with the other driver, you’ll still need to report the matter to us and send us a copy of the private settlement form when you’re reporting the accident. Do not assume that you do not have to report an incident because it is minor. There have been cases where no report was made and a claim was subsequently made by the other party. At this point, insurers would be in a position to reject your policy on the grounds of non-reporting.
Know your car insurance coverage
Some drivers may have chosen a cheap car insurance without going into details of the coverage just so that they can start driving on the roads. In times of an accident, knowing what your car insurance will cover is an important precaution you can take. Understanding under what circumstances you’ll be covered for can help you remain calm and not stress about the financial implications when an accident occurs.
Those who have taken up a comprehensive car insurance will definitely have more peace of mind when an auto accident happens. Our comprehensive car insurance policy is the most complete cover and shields you from the daily dangers you face for yourself, your car and others. It also protects you against rare dangers like fallen trees, floods and natural disasters.
When you choose comprehensive car insurance, you have the choice between our 3 driver plans and all of the optional benefits we have to offer. This ensures that you only pay for what you need.
Besides your home, cars are often one of the largest assets of a family. So it’s important to protect your car fully. We believe comprehensive protection is essential for any car under 6 years old and for younger drivers with less driving experience. Ask for an instant quote now and start your comprehensive car insurance coverage today!