Having a car in Singapore is considered a luxury, considering how expensive it is to own a car here. Naturally, getting a motorcycle is an alternative solution for those who prefer to have their own transport. But riding a bike on the road is often seen as dangerous, and bikers commonly would need the support of their loved ones and family members in making the decision to get a bike.
If you are one of those with a supportive partner that would ride a bike with you, it would be imperative for you to ensure their safety on the bike as well. The question is, does your motorcycle insurance provide coverage for your spouse riding the motorbike?
In short, yes, if you specifically request that your spouse is included as a rider.
Adding your partner as a rider under your motorcycle insurance
Similar to a car insurance, you can add an additional rider’s name to the policy to include in your insurance coverage. If your spouse is a rider of your motorcycle as well, it can be a good idea to include his/her name as one of the other rider. The criteria to add them includes:
- Rider to be between the age of 25 and 65;
- Holding the same class of bike license as the main rider
- Have held a driving licence for at least 2 years in the period immediately preceding the date of your policy
- To be named on your certificate of insurance and policy schedule
- Not have had his or her licence suspended or cancelled at any time in the 5 years immediately preceding the date of your policy
- Not have been refused or declined insurance at any time in the last 3 years
- Not have had insurance cancelled or terminated at any time in the last 3 years
It is very important to ensure that you include all declarations and answer the questions with regards to your motorcycle and rider usage so as to be able to make any future claims. Your policy will not cover any unnamed riders.
Do note that adding an additional rider’s name to your bike insurance does increase your premium. However, if your spouse is going to use it regularly, it’s definitely worth paying that small amount. Getting into an accident and having to suffer additional financial damage for any third party damage will be a huge price to pay later. Click here to find out the premium quote for adding your spouse as a rider.
What if my spouse is only a passenger?
“If my spouse does not have a motorcycle license, can I still include her in the name of the insurance and get her covered as a passenger?” Generally, a bike insurance works exactly like a car insurance cover in that passengers are generally covered under a comprehensive plan.
If you frequently ride with your spouse and want to ensure both of your safety and protection in case of an unfortunate accident, you might want to enhance your policy with a personal accident benefit available under our comprehensive plan.
Planning to ride across to Malaysia?
With the convenience of a bike, it is no wonder some people love to get over the causeway for a short weekend holiday or a day trip. Are you wondering whether your bike insurance covers you overseas? The great thing about DirectAsia’s bike insurance is that you are automatically covered when you are riding your Singapore-registered bikes in these covered areas –
- West Malaysia (including Penang and the other Malaysian islands offshore of West Malaysia),
- Southern Thailand (being that part of Thailand which is within 80 kilometres of the border between Southern Thailand and West Malaysia)
- Crossing the straits between Singapore and Tanjong Belungkor, Johor and when you cross the straits between West Malaysia and the Malaysian islands offshore of West Malaysia
There is no need to add on any overseas booster to enjoy these benefits.